Monday, May 14, 2018

AN OVERVIEW OF THE TRIP


PREP

I retired from the CPA firm on September 30, 2017, and began riding more to prepare for the endeavor.  I also started my part-time job at Pembroke Cycle on October 1, 2017.

Training:  Up until my retirement I was typically riding 200 to 300 miles a month.  These are the stats in prep for the upcoming trip:

Oct 2017   449 mi.
Nov 2017  607 mi.
Dec 2017  733 mi.
Jan  2018  658 mi.
Feb  2018  706 mi.
Mar 2018  1,141 mi.
Apr  2018  1,452 mi.

May, my goal was 1,500 miles, but I do not think I will be reaching my goal.  I took three days off because I had to work three full days at the beginning of the month.  And there has been some weather issues to contend with.

Bicycle:  2008 Lynsky, Custom.  Titanium frame with Shimano Ultegra Components.

We (my boss and I) have been working on my bike to get it ready for the trip.  I purchased new tires.  I put in new gear and brake cables.  I needed a new seat post.  And within the next week, I will be putting in a new cartridge in the bottom bracket shell.  I have a new gear cassette to help with the hills and new chain that will be installed within the next two weeks.  I also have new tires that will be installed right before I pack up the bike to ship.

Logistics:  The bike will be shipped at the beginning of June out the Astoria, OR.

My tickets are mostly purchased.  Still need a ticket from Boston at the end of the cross country trip back to PDX.

The Trip:  We will be traveling about 80 miles a day on average.  There will be 12 days of 90 plus miles, 7 of those days will be over 100 miles in a day.

Total climbing will be just a bit less than 119,000 feet; keep in mind, I typically do 100 feet climbing for a 100 mile ride.  South Florida is flat so I have not been training in any type of hills.

Updates:  I will try to update daily.  But to follow my progress, I typically update my Strava account daily.  If you would like to follow me, see my stats, etc, follow me on Strava.  If you already have a Strava account, simply follow me, "Hugh Chakler".  If you do not have a Strava account, set up an account and then you can follow me.

You can access Strava by going to strava.com, there is also an app.

Questions:
  • Why?  
Check off a bucket list item, cross the country by bicycle.

FYI, a couple of other things I have accomplished on the list; visited Alaska (by bike, rode from Fairbanks and rode to Anchorage), also visited the Grand Canyon, (also by bike, also visited Bryce and Zion National Parks on that trip).  New Zealand is the last item on the list, probably going to check that off the list the winter of 2020.
  • Are you going by yourself?  
No, a friend from the bike club, Satish, is also going.  This is an organized tour, I heard there will be 47 other folks joining us.
  • Are you carrying your own baggage?  
LOL, no.  The company planning the trip and making all the plans will be carrying the bags from city to city.

  • Hotels or camping?
This trip will be hotels for all 50 nights.  I had thought about one third camping and the remaining nights hotel, but could not find such a trip.  It was either all camping or all hotels, so I selected all hotels.  I could not imagine 50 nights in a tent.  

  • If you have any other questions, email me; hchakler@gmail.com.




















No comments:

Post a Comment