Sunday, July 8, 2018

Day 21 - Lusk, WY to Hot Springs, SD

About 94 miles with 2,900 feet of climbing

Today was a pretty good ride.  We either had a tail wind or no wind, but definitely no head wind.  And a lot of the ride was down hill.  We had 2,900 feet of elevation gain, but about 4,500 feet of elevation loss, a lot more down hill versus uphill/climbing.  We had a total elapsed time of eight and a half hours.

Just a few miles north of Lusk, the vegetation has significantly changed:


Stage coach stop.  This guy Michael was telling us all about it, then I got out the camera, see what happened:


South Dakota (SD) state line:




We had a grueling four mile climb.  The grade was between four to six percent.  It seemed really, really hot; by the time I got to the top, I was saturated in sweat.  I had to stop two or three times just to get my breath.  At the top, one of the SAG vehicles was at the top of the climb.  They gave me some ice for my bandana to put around my neck.  It was instant relief.  

The Black Hills of SD:


Here is a link for a longer video of a good part of the down hill into Hot Springs.  This was immediately following another 1 mile climb.  But because the climb was only one mile, it did not have the same debilitating effect on me as the four mile climb.  

I was asked to get some longer videos out there, so let's try this:  Hdere is a video of the aforementioned decent, I called this video, day 21 need for speed.

Finally, welcome to Hot Springs:



No comments:

Post a Comment